Experienced artists are invited to submit applications by 1st September in order to participate in the open air event which will feature the following painting locations and their immediate surroundings:
- Norwich Market
- Norwich Castle
- Pull’s Ferry
- Elm Hill
- Norwich Cathedral (Church of England)
- St John’s Roman Catholic Cathedral
The days set aside for painting are Wednesday and Thursday 22-23 October 2014 and the public are invited to watch the works in progress.
Prizes to be won:
- First prize – £1000
- Second prize – £500
- Third prize – £250
- People’s Choice Award – art materials hamper (provided by Norwich Art Supplies)
Judges for the competition include:
- Trevor Chamberlain, independent leading Plein Air artist
- Colin Self, internationally acclaimed Norwich-based artist
- Amanda Geitner, Head of Exhibitions at The Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts, UEA.
In an interview with the EDP James Colman, part of the Paint Out Norwich Selection Team, said:
“This year we thought it would be a good move to take the visual arts into the streets of Norwich. It’s all about getting people excited about visual arts and the festival because there are lots of great things going on. For the first year we thought it would be a popular move to create paintings inspired by the great landmarks of Norwich and see what people come up with, there will be different interpretations and we are interested in new and novel ways of looking at our great landmarks.”
See more from the EDP story of the competition announcement.