Norwich Castle History
Norwich Castle was founded by William the Conqueror some time between 1066 and 1075. The stone keep, which remains to this day, was probably built between 1095 and 1110. It was once described as “the most highly ornamented keep in England.” Although the keep is still standing, its outer shell has been repaired repeatedly, most recently in 1835–9 in bath stone. Between 1887 and 1995 the Castle was converted into a museum.
Norwich Castle Museum & Art Gallery
Norwich Castle now houses a museum and art gallery which also includes an extensive collection of art from the Norwich Society of Artists/School of Painters such as John Sell Cotman and John Crome. The fine art galleries include a range of art works from the 17th to 20th centuries, from English watercolours to Dutch landscapes and modern British paintings. There is also an extensive collection of the output of the Flemish artist Peter Tillemans.
Find out more about Norwich Castle: